Different options are available for the treatment of plantar fasciitis:
- Rest + ICE. Temporarily stop physical activity to accelerate healing. Apply ice or cold pack for 10-15 minutes.
- Anti-inflammatory medication.
- Wear shoes with a small heel of about 1.5 inches.
- Your podiatrist may tape your foot in a fashion to support the arch.
- Your podiatrist may prescribe custom-made orthotics/orthoses to ensure proper control of the faulty foot movement.
- Physical therapy including manipulation, laser and ultrasound.
- Cortisone injections for acute intense pain.
- Surgery as a last resort.
It is worthwhile to note that some patients associate a heel spur with plantar fasciitis. The symptoms and treatments may be similar. A heel spur is a bony deposit along the plantar fascia at the insertion of the heel bone or calcaneus and is not always painful.